Thursday, August 21, 2008

Tea eating pigs

Some times I wonder why Japan has the wierdest inventions in the world?! This one is not so bad, and the least wierd?

A farmer thought tea is good for human, it must be good for pigs too, isn't it? He started a test in 1997, mixing tea in food for his pigs. When the pigs were matured for consumption, scientific examinations were done to these fleshes. The result reflected 3 times more vitamin C compare to pigs did not have tea. Amino Acid is also 3 times more, pig "smell" is significantly less, therefore taste better.

In 1999, Japan produced 40,000 of these "Tea Beauty Dolphin" pigs, catering to major cities like Tokyo in Japan.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

two of my favorites, pork and tea. I'd love to try if any of these show up in the states.

I think the diet of a pig is truly under appreciated. The acorn fed free range Iberico pig is like a different animal altogether.

Imen said...

Where can I find the acorn fed Iberico pig here in the states? Pork is a regular on our dinner table too. :)

I can ask for info here in the local Japanese market to find out if there is any available here in the states.