I am thinking of buying the Canon A640 camera. It has features I must have: vari-angle LCD, 10.0 mp and UNDER $400. However it's not compact, but I rather trade it with vari-angle LCD. I travel alone some times and it's handy for taking pictures of myself. This model is too new, there isn't any user rating/reviews online yet. Any suggestions?
Change of must haves: vari-angle LCD, 5 MP and up, rechargable battery, under $400.
Canon if possible, compact preferred.
I think I have made my decision, Nikon coolpix S10 as is. Things I like about it:
1. swivel lens, even better than canon swivel because the lens itself can be tilted not only the LCD as in Canon or other brands.
2. Lens, 10x Zoom-Nikkor, impressive for a pocket camera. Not an upgrade from S4 though.
3. Macro shooting enables shooting from as close as 4cm (1.6 in.), great for taking close up pictures of tea and orchids.
4. 5 movie modes with sound plus Time-Lapse movie mode; Electronic VR available Choice of White Balance
5. LCD monitor: 2.5-inch type, 230,000-dot TFT LCD monitor with brightness adjustment, more than doubled the dots of S4.
6. Movie: w/Electronic VR, With sound: TV movie (640) at 30fps, Small size (320) at 30fps, Smaller size (160) at 15fps, Pictmotion (320) at 15fps; Without sound: Time-lapse movie at 15fps. 30fps is much better than my s500.
7. Power requirements: EN-EL5 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (included), MH-61 battery charger (included). Big step up from S4 which uses 2 AA.
All these things justified the $100 extra dollars. Oh, it's better looking than S4 too. I am settling for this one. Just have to wait for my credit cards to come in. Should have been here already!
S10 at Nikon site
S10 at Photographyblog
S10 at dpreview
Thanks a million Phyll!